Wednesday, 13 January 2010

Missoni Accomplished!


A Meeting with Margherita Missoni
I'd be forgiven for expecting to encounter little more than a stylishly-attired party girl when I met up with 26-year-old Margherita Missoni at a party in Dubai recently, but, I couldn't have been more wrong. The scion to the legendary Italian fashion label, Missoni, didn't seem remotely self-absorbed and would rather spend her time talking about her love for acting than her family's fashion empire. I sat down with the model and style icon, who gave me the lowdown on her own look...

You're often described as the inspiration behind Missoni's move into the 21st century. Do you think this is true?
I guess so. When I was 18, I left high school and started attending a lot of parties and events wearing Missoni. It became good for the brand as both the industry and public started to perceive Missoni as a younger label.

How did you become the face of Missoni fragrances? Did your mum ask you?
She didn't even tell me! Many people had told my mum for years to use me for something, and she would say, "what do I do with her? A campaign?" She didn't want to promote me as a model. It wasn't until I got a call from the perfume company to go in and meet them that I realised what was happening. I'd already been an ambassador of sorts for Missoni, so it was a natural evolution.

How would you describe your own style?
Very irrational and distinctive. I start with a piece I love and then I build on that. I am never matchy. It's hard to dissect my style - but it's definitley bohemian.

As the face for Missoni, do you feel like you should always wear the brand?
No! I think it's more believable if I don't wear it all the time. If I wear other designers, people know that when I do wear Missoni, it's because I choose to!

Which designers do you love?
I love Louis Vuitton, Givenchy, Giambattista Valli, Proenza Schouler and Lanvin. For jeans, I wear Seven and J Brand.

Are you genuinely interested in fashion?
It's all I've known. I love it as a job, but it's never been my dream, because I know it so well. Acting is my real passion.

How is the acting going?
It's going well. That's my thing, so that's what I'm putting all my effort into. I still attend events for Missoni but acting is what I want to pursue.

Who are your style icons?
Industry people rather than celebrities inspire me. They are the ones with the real passion and fashion know-how. They don't care about looking good - there's almost an intellectual thing behind it. But there are actresses whose style I admire and always love to see wearing Missoni. I like Cate Blanchett and Natalie Portman. They don't try to imitate anyone else, which is so refreshing!

Interview by Sarah Quick for OK! Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment